The CHIEF Patrol contract was granted through Natick’s Special Operations Office after an extensive source selection process and rigorous testing of packs from six other companies. The backpack meets the U.S. Special Operations Forces requirements to provide a load carriage system that delivers top-performance. Download the CHIEF Owners Manual here.
Torso Sizes: Short | Regular | Long
Weight: 3.1kg | 6lbs 15oz
Capacity: 90 liters | 5500 cubic inches
Load Capacity: 100lbs | 45.36kg
500D Nylon Cordura Body
Tweave Stretch Woven Fabric
• CHIEF FRAMESHEET – A 3-D molded framesheet fits the contours of the back, and flexes with the body while maintaining exceptional support.
• PIVOT POINT HARDWARE - Comfort is achieved with pivoting anchor points for shoulder straps and belts that also help maximize body movement. Torso length and shoulder harness width are adjustable for a custom fit.
• BODY ARMOR COMPATIBLE HARNESS - The harness is customizable to fit over body armor. Extra shoulder strap padding is removable, and a lumbar pad is added for better load transfer.
• HIGH OUTPUT HYDRATION - Hydration pockets on both sides allow easy access to hydration bladders. Bottom routing of the tubes permits more efficient flow, and bite valves attached on the shoulder straps allow soldiers hands-free operation.
• ACCESS PANEL – Two vertical zippers open the front of the pack and allow for rapid load / unload of inner contents.
• RADIO POCKET - Fits the 117 radio, and straps below carry 2 spare batteries close to the frame. Antenna/Communications ports are accessible through the lid.
• NIR SOLUTION-DYED FABRIC – Both the base fabric (500d), and webbing (1000d) consist of solution-dyed nylon (SDN) CORDURA® fabrics that provide maximum Near Infra-red (NIR) signature reduction concealment properties.
COMPOSITE HYBRID INTERCHANGEABLE ERGONOMIC FRAMESHEET
Natick’s requirements for the SOF Patrol pack was to be able to carry 100 pounds comfortably, survive a 40 foot drop fully loaded, and weigh 7lbs or less. The CHIEF frame is the key to meeting those requirements. The CHIEF System is engineered from a proprietary, continuously reinforced thermoplastic with distinct zones of flexibility, matching and supporting the soldiers natural spinal contours. The CHIEF frame can flex, but always returns to it’s original shape, never deforming like aluminum stays frequently do.
What torso length should I get?
DETERMINE TORSO LENGTH Measure the distance between your seventh cervical vertebra and the crest of your hipbones, using a flexible tape measure. Your Torso Length will determine where to attach the pivot point shoulder strap hardware.
Stand up straight with your feet shoulders-width apart. Tilt your head forward and place your hands on your hips, thumbs to the back.
Note: Hold the line between the tip of your index fingers and thumbs parallel to the ground, with the tip of your index fingers resting on the crest of your hipbones, and your thumbs near the center of your back. With a flexible tape, have someone measure from the most prominent bone at the base of your neck to an imaginary line drawn to connect your thumbs. This will be your torso length.
NOTE: Follow the contours of your back with a flexible tape to accurately determine your torso measurement.
The bottom hole is 16” torso, the top hole is 22” torso.
NOTE: The CHIEF framesheet has fine adjustment settings spaced in one inch increments to further fine-tune your fit. Regular Torso Fits 16” to 22”
What size hipbelt?
Use the size chart below and go by your regular pant size waist measurement. A properly sized hip belt will wrap over your hip bones and still leave a gap in the padding at the front. (Measured by circumference at hip crest)
|Hip Belt Sizing